The St Rule Club
12 The Links
Tel/Fax: 01334 472988
12 The Links, St Andrews
The St Rule Club is a ladies club which was established at the end of 1896.
The St Rule Club is a ladies club which was established at the end of 1896. The original aims were social, to share newspapers and periodicals, to have tea and light refreshments and to have shelter near the links. Its formation was encouraged by Captain Boothby of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club and its 186 founder members (including The Captain’s wife Ella Beatrice Boothby) leased, as a temporary clubhouse, 4 Gibson Place for the year 1897.
The move to the current premises at 12 The Links in 1898 coincided with the creation of a golf section within The Club.
Situated next to the 18th green of the Old Course, The Club has a magnificent panoramic view across the world famous St Andrews Links and the West Sands towards the Angus hills.
Today, in addition to golf, activities organised in The St Rule Club, include bridge, putting, arts and crafts, a book club, coffee morning talks and a programme of winter lectures. The Club thrives with a membership of 500 ladies, 288 of whom are golfers.
A very close bond exists between the two august governing bodies of golf, The Ladies Golf Union who rented the two upper floors of the building for many years from 1977 and The Royal and Ancient Golf Club who has never faltered in its support of The St Rule Club.